Friday, July 3, 2009

Mom & Dad's Travels



Don & I traveled to China this spring to visit with Katey [and Hong] for three weeks. Without a doubt, the entire trip was so amazing. We were so lucky to have Katey & Hong [& Connor] travel with us & share our adventures. We had some doubts about easily travelling in China with language [and written] barriers, population densities, cultural differences as well as the cautionary advice we obtained from various sources prior to leaving Canada. To our surprise though, most of what we did went off without a hitch. [Although we won’t discuss our little excursion to the Forbidden City on May 1st. Navigating around Beijing on May Day, the nation’s most popular national holiday, was no walk in the park!]

When asked what I liked best about China I have trouble as everything we did was so memorable. Each meal was an adventure [food in China is REALLY different] every destination was so unique & the people are fascinating - we had so many positive experiences in our encounters with the people. We have been back in Canada six weeks now – the 700+ photos are now in albums and as I write the anecdotes beside each photo I find myself reliving every moment we had in China and it is like being there all over again. As to what is at the top of my list of all that we did I would have to say our day on the Great Wall, our weekend in Hong Kong, our days in Macau [especially visiting Katey & Hongs school] shopping in the markets, touring Hutongs, our time in Beijing & Shanghai – I could continue on & on as everything is on the list!! We could really only get a small sampling of China in three weeks - Katey & Hong are so lucky to be in Macau for six months & have the opportunity to travel to parts of Asia & see more of what China has to offer. Our trip to China & the time we spent with Katey – definitely the highlight of 2009!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment