Despite rumors & fingers being crossed, the show must go on & the summer term is not canceled after all. People were talking like crazy about canceling the program due to H1N1 reaching Macau & also because one of the foreign teachers that was organizing the summer term for the other campus did not come (also because of H1N1). The administration even held a meeting about it, but decided in the end that they would continue with classes as planned until a student gets the virus. It's interesting to see this contrast with how schools react in Canada to illnesses. Hong Kong has already decided to cancel summer classes & even postponed final exams. The government (in Macau & Hong Kong) has also recommended that schools cancel their graduation ceremonies or any occasions where large groups of people gather. There is only a very small number of cases here, but I understand their reaction. The population density here is unimaginable when compared to the wide open spaces & double car garages that we have in Canada. If the virus really was to spread here, it would go like wild fire. As much as I was clinging to the possibility of having an extra month to travel, I do not wish for the virus to spread here (we all know how good I am at getting sick...)
Moral of the story - I have been taking full advantage of the freedom of summer classes. The students do not have to follow a textbook, they do not write tests & we are essentially allowed to teach them anything that we feel is important. So, Hong developed an overall theme & some activities for both of our classes to participate in (as I believe they are testing the waters with multi-aging this summer... Yeah!) I am happy that I am in this situation, I've never taught in a multi-aged setting.. and I am eager to do so. Our theme for the summer is - FOOD! Yum! The students are going to do many fun & exciting activities involving technology, songs, inventive caps, & so on. I am, surprisingly, looking forward to it all. Near the end of the term (which is actually quite short, only 6 days, about 3 hours long each, spread out over 4 weeks) of course, they will be having a performance. We were originally going to do a camp song that both Hong & I learned while working with the city about Bananas & a play based on the storybook "Stone Soup", but we fear that there won't be enough 'practice' time, so we are going to do 2 songs instead. In addition to the 2 hrs of activity time that students have, P1 & P2 will split up for about 45 min where they will get some more 'official' lesson time of instruction. My students (who are now called P2, I will have the same class & partner teacher - minus a couple of students that left for other schools) will be learning about clothing & will be holding their very own fashion show, which we will video tape & I will test out my editing skills on iMovie & show it during the performance. There's lots to do over the next few weeks, but they will be enjoyable. Time is going to fly!
Our first day of summer planning was to begin this past Monday, but Helen wanted to go to Hong Kong & she had asked if we would take her grand daughter (Elizabeth) to Ocean Park. So, we played hookie for the day & went to Hong Kong instead. Unfortunately for us, it was raining buckets for most of the day & only at the end of the day, did we get to enjoy a few rides. We did however get plenty of viewing time in at the Reef Aquarium, the Jelly Fish exhibit & the Panda habitat. Fun fact - Ocean Park in Hong Kong has the largest aquarium in all of Asia, which is amazing b/c they LOVE their aquariums over here. My favourites were the Jelly Fish (all of them.. I can't decide which ones are more beautiful) & seeing 2 Giant Pandas in real life. Amazing! Elizabeth is quite the intelligent young lady (at only 6 yrs old), so we had a fantastic day with her. I love any opportunity to nerd it up with my natural history fun facts. Although, aquatic life - definitely not my forte.
Hong & I held a little party for the CDSJ staff this afternoon to give our thanks for their hospitality. It was such a minute gesture considering all they have done for us over the past 5 months, but we had to do something. We brought some treats that we bought in Taipei, a "tiramisu" cake (I was so disappointed when I cut into it.... NOTHING like the real thing, it had chunks of canned fruit inside.. blahk!), bear claw fudge & maple popcorn from Canada, PB cookies & some drinks. Hong & I baked the cookies last night, which was quite the experience. We don't have an oven, so we borrowed one from Dave, who lives downstairs. The ovens here are much like an oversized toaster oven at home. It was definitely interesting, we had to rotate the pan about 3 times throughout their cooking time as the back practically lights on fire & the front row is still raw. haha... it was hilarious! Hong even started a fire!!! Serious... we don't have oven mitts, so we were using a cloth & it landed on the element & immediately ignited. It was pretty funny. All I could think of was 'Ryan started the fire'.... look it up (the Office), so great.
Hong & I are traveling to Singapore on Saturday & staying until Thursday. Two of my friends from Calgary are traveling around SE Asia right now & we have decided to meet up there! I have always wanted to see Singapore & not to mention, enjoy my favourite beer (Tiger beer). We don't have to be at school again until the following Friday. Life is rough, we deserve a break, don't we??? :)
Wednesday, June 24, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment