This morning we had 2 very short periods to meet our students (P1 & P2). We first met Hong's class of P2. It is a very small class, there are only 10 students. This class seemed very sweet. There was one boy however, that had a temper tantrum when he first walked into the class and then continued to kick things, make noises & wouldn't participate for the rest of the class. The teacher tried to include him a couple of times, but her efforts didn't work very well. Poor thing, I don't know what had happened during gym class (the period before), but he was not a happy camper.
We then went next door to meet the P1 class (the class that I will be teaching in). Oh my, there are some interesting fellows in there. During the introductions, the teacher had asked the students (12 in total) to complete the sentence "I like to..." with their introduction. The very first student that she had asked to do this, wound up with a karate type stance & yelled "I like to KILL YOU!!!" hahaha I couldn't understand what he had said at first, but then it clicked. That activity soon stopped. I think the teacher was quite embarrassed, but he was just being a kid.
We walked over to the 2nd & 3rd school for our welcome party from the English club. They had lots of baked treats & some iced tea for all of us. It was great. The students who are a part of this club put it all together themselves. Wherever we go, they ask us to 'Say something to the students'... etc. I think I should start planning out an introduction, it's always so awkward. I usually make Hong talk :) They are planning a Hot Pot night with us & the rest of the English club students for this Saturday. I'm very excited!! It's going to be about triple the cost of any other meal we usually eat, but we get to try lots of yummy food, so it will be worth it!
I think we miss the boat on a lot of what is said.. or it's assumed that we are filled in by someone else, but I always find there are surprises! For example, while we were in the P1 class, the teacher that we went on the English camp with to BBQ the other day came into the class and pulled me out to talk to me. She started with... "For the report that you & Hong are writing.." and I didn't hear the rest because I was just thinking - what report?? Oh well... I will learn the art of flexibility here soon enough.
Wednesday, February 18, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hi Kate,
ReplyDeleteYour Dad sent me the link to your blog . . . not sure if you remember me. I worked with your Dad at Royal LePage. It sounds like quite the adventure! The Karate kid sounds just like my son . . . I can't imagine what his teacher's see and hear and don't tell me. All the best and looking forward to reading more.
Tracey Stoll
Of course I remember you Tracey! I am so happy that people are actually reading my blog :)
ReplyDeleteHow old is your son now? Without a doubt though, those students that require the most attention from me are usually the best ones. So I know that by the end of my term with the 'karate kid' he will be attached to my hip!