This morning we got a call from Miss Mou to meet some of the English club members for 'yam chaa'. Taking this word for word, we thought we were going to drink tea. Turns out we were going to the Hotel Sintra for Dim Sum. Good thing we didn't eat breakfast before we left.
When Hong & I left the appt it was slightly spitting so I decided to run back upstairs to change into pants. When we came back out it was still spitting slightly, made it a little farther from the house & then down pour!! We got pretty wet, no umbrella. The rain feels quite different, gritty almost, could also be because some of it was falling off of the buildings onto us. :)
We went to the 2nd & 3rd school to meet with Virginia, Helen, Karin, Benjamin & Patricia. Benjamin, Karin & Patricia are from the English club of their school, and wanted to go for Dim Sum to practice some of their English. They are both in Grade 11, were great kids & spoke English really well. We (/they because is was all in Chinese) ordered some food, and lots of it! We had a variety of dishes, we had steamed pork buns, steamed sticky rice wrapped in lotus flower leaves, squid with shrimp paste, chinese doughnut wrapped in some rice paper, a pad-thai looking dish, but wasn't pad thai, steamed egg yolk & bun (this was very tasty... really sweet). Helen covered the bill, so we told them that they have to let us take them out for Hot Pot next. I can't wait to try this, Hong really likes it and it sounds somewhat like the beef broth fondu that my family always did growing up.
After lunch, the girls (Karin & Patricia) walked us home and were curious to see our place. I think that they are quite wealthy. They both live in sky rises in Taipa, but Patricia has an appt here in Macau with her sister & nanny as her parents are Tour Guides and are quite often away traveling. They were very sweet, saying how they loved our appt, but we could tell that it wasn't what they were used to, I don't think they had ever been in these types of appts. I think ours is quite nice, I wonder what their homes look like? They stayed for a while and told us about different areas in Macau to see & how to get there. I wasn't sure about the situation as in Canada, you would never have a student at your house. But I guess this is different as we aren't their teachers.
I've posted a couple of pictures from Dim Sum, we didn't take many.
Today is Valentine's Day. Apparently, the people here are beginning to celebrate it, becoming more popular every year. This year the students were told to give our chocolates, as they last longer than flowers, so we had a few students giving us chocolates at the school. Abbie had sent three envelopes with me, one to open on Valentine's Day, one for Easter & the other for my Birthday. So I opened the Valentine's Day first thing this morning! In it were some pictures (which was perfect, I need some pictures to decorate), & some chocolates. Mmmm Yummy!
Saturday, February 14, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment